Best Firewall Software 2021
Your cybersecurity is always important, especially these days when many are working remotely – you need to protect your computer against malicious programs. Keeping your business information safe is particularly important for small businesses which tend to be a favourite target by cybercriminals. A secure firewall is the first step.
Different firewall software come with a variety of features. If you’re interested in learning more about what’s best for your small business or startup, read our review on the Best Firewall security.
What's on This Page
Top Firewall Software Products
Bitdefender Total Security
Bitdefender Total Security is an industry leading anti-malware protection service that protects your network and devices against malicious threats found online. It provides optimal protection, performance, and privacy for users trying to navigate the online space safely.
- Antivirus Plus (Up to 3 devices/ Price is for 1st year)
- Basic protection for windows PC
- $23.99 (+tax) $59..99 after 1st year
- Total Security(Up to 5 devices/Price is for 1st year)
- Complete protection for Windows, macOS, iOS and Android
- Speeds up your device
- $35.99 (+ tax) $89.99 after 1st year
- Internet Security (up to 3 devices/ price is for 1st year)
- Advanced Protection for windows PC
- 31.99 (+ tax) $79.99 after 1st year
- VPN $29.99 for the 1st year
- Anti-theft options
- Performance optimizer
Privacy protection options include:
- File encryption
- Parental controls
- Protection for microphones (prevents them being used by a third-party)
Avast Premium Security
Avast Premium Security is an industry leading network security device that enables both individuals and businesses to operate securely and safely online. The team at Avast continue to develop and evolve their network traffic monitoring systems to protect against the ever changing landscape of online security threats. With minimal user input, Avast Premium Security is perfect for both experienced and beginner users.
- Advanced Firewall Installed
- Malicious URL filtering
- Home Network Security
- Smart Scan
- Browser Cleanup
- Secure DNS
Welcome bonus extras:
- Extra anti-ramsomware layer to protect your most important document folders
- Speedy scanning for network vulnerabilities
- Avast Premium Security – $89.99 per year for 10 cross-platforms licenses
- Free trial period so you can make sure you love their product before committing to it
Norton 360 Deluxe
Norton 360 Deluxe offers Multi-feature firewall protection with their own threat protection system and more. It not only protects against outside attacks, as any firewall must, Norton 360 Firewall also aims to prevent programs from misusing your network connection.
When it comes to program control, it automatically configures permissions for known good programs and places extra scrutiny on the behavior of lesser known software.
New in this edition of Norton 360 Deluxe, they’ve developed specific protection against network shenanigans such as man-in-the-middle attacks.
- Device Security for up to 5 PCs, Mac®, smartphones or tablets
- Antivirus, Anti-spyware, Malware, and Ransomware Protection
- Firewall for PC and Mac
- 50GB PC Cloud Backup
- Password Manager
- Parental Control
- NEW! School Time
- Virus Protection Promise2
- Secure VPN
- $39.99 CAD/Year (1st year) Regular $104.99 per year
- Or $9.99 monthly
FortiGate offers a network security platform, designed to deliver threat protection and performance with reduced complexity. It secures all of the user’s digital assets through security threat monitoring and blocks all suspected data traffic. FortiGate is powered by an AI-based system and provides some the best data security with industry-leading technologies for VPN, network monitoring and mapping, deeper packet inspection capabilities, application control, strong network visibility, and intrusion prevention.
- Secure cloud on ramp
- Full visibility
- Fabric Management Center
- Threat protection
- Effective Security Validation
- Security Fabric Integration
- Requested by quote
Types of Cyber Security Software
Frequently Asked Questions
While there are many types of software-based firewalls used today, they all aim to provide overall network security. Firewalls provide network security through a gateway process that acts as a filter for all incoming packets. With pre-defined rules and logic, each packet that enters (or that tries to) the network will be analyzed in order to determine whether it contains malicious code or not. Some of the most commonly used software firewalls are packet filtering, circuit-level, proxy server, stateful inspection, and next-generation firewalls (NGFW).
Firewalls act as a gateway between external internet resources and internal devices using a private network. They filter incoming packets in order to identify malicious file types and access. In doing so, software firewalls provide effective security for all resources connected to a private network.